- Ph.D. (Distinction), Department of History, University of Chicago, June 1994
- M.A. in Social Science, Department of History, University of Chicago, December 1988
- M.A., April 1988, Post-graduate Department of History, Calcutta University, Calcutta
- B.A. (Honors), June 1985, Department of History, Presidency College, Calcutta
Late Mughal and British India, British Empire; Environment and Ecology
- Sen S, Lawless Subjects: Crime and Punishment in Early British-India (book manuscript in progress)
- Sen S and May Joseph eds. (2022) Terra Aqua: The Amphibious Lifeworld of Coastal Societies and the Maritime Global South, London: Routeldge
- Sen, S. (2019) Ganges: The Many Pasts of an Indian River, New Haven: Yale University Press. Published in India by Penguin Viking as Ganga: The Many Pasts of a River
- Sen, S. (2002) Distant Sovereignty: National Imperialism and the Origins of British-India, London: Routledge
- Sen, S. (1998) Empire of Free Trade: The East India Company and the Making of the Colonial Marketplace, Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press
Indian Civilization, Modern India, Comparative Perspectives in Middle East and South Asia, Introduction to Middle East & South Asia (First Year Seminar)
Professor Sudipta Sen was awarded the William Jones Memorial Medal by the Asiatic Society (Kolkata, India) for his contribution to the fields of History and Asian Studies.
2020-21 Fulbright-Nehru Academic Excellence Award
Innovative Learning Technology Initiative (ILTI) grant, Office of the President, University of California, for online Punjabi (Punjabi Without Walls), February 2020.
University Grants Commission, DSA Senior Visiting Fellow, Department of History, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India, September 2019.
Senior Research Fellowship, National Endowment of the Humanities, funded through the American Institute of Indian Studies, July-October 2012
Fellow, Institute for Social Sciences, University of California Davis (2018-2019)
- CST Executive Committee