Dissertation: The Baroness of Have-Nothing and Other Haunting Tales, an autohistoriographic dissertation including topics of autobiography, German family history, and transgenerational trauma.
Research Interests: Comics, Graphic Medicine, German Literature, memory theory, trauma theory, transnational feminisms and human rights.
Fellowship, Grants, and Awards:
Cultural Studies Graduate Group Summer Funding, Special Projects, UC Davis (2016)
Provost's Fellowship in the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, UC Davis (2014-15)
Visual and Critical Studies Program summer travel award, California College of the Arts (2013)
BFA - Studio Arts - Santa Fe University of Art & Design
MFA - Fine Arts - California College of the Arts
MA - Visual and Critical Studies - California College of the Arts
- “Desire Paths: PathoGraphics and Transgenerational Trauma,” chapter in anthology on PathoGraphics, to be published by Penn State University Press, 2019.
- “Shapeshifters: Fluid Self-Representations in Women’s Comics,” in anthology on German Life Writing, to be published by Camden Press, 2019.
- “Pathways: A Graphic Meditation” in Studies in Comics, Vol. 7, Issue 2, December 2016.
- “Walking Home: A Feminist Tracing of Home and Belonging,” in Sentient Performativities of Embodiment: Thinking alongside the Human. Eds. Hunter, Lynette, Elisabeth Krimmer, and Peter Lichtenfels. Lanham, Boulder, New York, London: Lexington Books, 2016.
- Feminist Fables for the Twenty-first Century: The F Word Project. With foreword by Trina Robbins, and with introductions by Sarah Lightman, Gabriel De Pablo, Francisco Arce, Halima Mohammed Abdel Rahman, Rubina Cohen, David Opiyo, Helen Concannon, Norah Sirma, and Ester Korir. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2015.
- “Labradoodle or Lion-Snake? Comics as Folkloric Tradition” in Sightlines. San Francisco: California College of the Arts, Visual and Critical Studies Department, 2014.
- “Interview with Amruta Patil, India’s First Female Graphic Novelist.” Eleven Eleven Journal, Spring 2014.
Recent Presentations & Conferences
- Francisco State University Panel Discussion - Panelist, “Comics and Medicine: Communicating the Nuances of Intimateand Vulnerable Experiences through Words and Images,” September 2018.
- Graphic Medicine “Spaces of Care” Conference - Presenter, Center for Cartoon Studies, Vermont, August 2018.
- PathoGraphics Conference - “Queen of Snails,”presentation of work from the first chapter of my graphic dissertation - Presenter, International conference: Stories of Illness / Disability in Literature and Comics: Intersections of the Medical, the Personal, and the Cultural; hosted by the Friedrich Schlegel Graduiertenschule für literaturwissenschaftliche Studien in Berlin, Germany, October 2017.
- German Studies Association Conference - “Shapeshifters: Fluid Self-Representations in Women’s Comics,” presentation as part of a seminar on German Life Writing. - Presenter, GSA Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, April 2017.
- Graphic Medicine “Access Points” Conference - “Purposeful Play: Visual Journaling Workshop.” - Workshop presenter, Seattle Public Library, Washington, June 2017.
- Comics and Memory Conference - “Memory Lines: Retracing Female Ancestral Stories of WWII Era Germany,” presentation of work from the introduction to my graphic dissertation - Presenter, Nordic Network for Comics Research conference hosted by Ghent University in collaboration with University of Liège (ACME) and KU Leuven, April 2017.
- Queers and Comics Conference - “Wonder Woman and Beyond.” - Moderator, CLAGS, City University of New York, May 2015.
- Graphic Medicine “Spaces of Care” Conference - “Developing the Feminist Fables.” - Presenter, UC Riverside, July 2015.