CST PhD Student
Analog Game Studies, Gender Playability, Cooperative Economics, Code, Narratology, Critical Code Studies (CCS), The Bossless Workers Movement, Nihilistic Social Apparatuses.
- MFA Creative Writing, Portland State University, 2014.
- BA English & Interdisciplinary Studies, Fairhaven College, Western Washington University, 2007.
- AAS Bellevue Community College, 2003.
- “Understanding Larp Literacy: Towards a Narratology for Interactive Narrative Media” The International Journal of Role-Playing, issue 10 (forthcoming).
- “The Reality Code: Interpreting Aggregate Larp Rules as Code that Runs on Humans.” The International Journal of Role-Playing, issue 7. http://ijrp.subcultures.nl/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/IJRP-7-Steele.pdf.
- “Decolonizing Gender in Interactive Narrative Media.” Presentation for the annual conference of the Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory (HASTAC), Unceded Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm) Territory (Vancouver, BC), Scheduled – 16-18 May 2019.
- “Understanding Larp Literacy: Noise Filtering, Direct Diegesis, Extradiegetic Statement Exchange, and Intradiegetic Objects.” The Role-playing and Simulation in Education Conference at Northeastern University. Boston, MA. May 2018.
- “Game Design Methodologies for Gender Playability: A Case Study of Thermophiles in Love.” Presentation for the Social Studies of Live Action Role-Playing Games Conference at the European University of St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, Russia. December 2016.
- “Code as Diegetic Language in LARP.” Presented as part of the “Critical Code Studies and Creativity Panel” at the 30th Annual Conference of the Society for Literature, Science, and the Arts (SLSA), Atlanta, GA. November 2016.
- “Lessons in Netprov: Collaborative Writing in the Digital Age.” Presentation with Rob Wittig and Mark Marino at the Berkeley Center for New Media, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA. October 2016.
- “Teaching Political Economy through Larp: Some Game Mechanics of Feudalism and Capitalism.” Presentation at the Role-Playing and Simulation in Education Conference at Texas State University. Round Rock, TX. May 2016.
- “Gender Playability in Larp: The Roles of Performativity and Interpolation.” Presentation at The 35th Annual Gender Studies Symposium. Lewis & Clark College. Portland, OR. March 2016.
- “Beyond Lords and Ladies: Factors that Support (or Inhibit) Player Experimentation with Gender.” Presentation at the Living Games Conference. The Game Center, Tisch School of the Arts, New York University. New York, NY. March 2014.
- HASTAC Scholars Fellowship. The Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory (HASTAC) 2018-2020.
- Provost’s Fellowship, UC Davis, 2018-19.
- Graduate Assistantship with the Portland Center for Public Humanities, Portland State University, 2009.
- Advanced Research Affiliate with the Humanities and Critical Code Studies (HaCCS) Lab at the University of Southern California.
- The Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory (HASTAC).
Activism & Consensus Community Organizing
Slingshot (activist newspaper)
Berkeley, Calif. 2011-present Editorial Collective Member
LAND ACTION (adverse possession mutual aid network)
Oakland, Calif. 2015-2016 Development Director, Organizer
Fort Vibe (co-op house & venue)
Los Angeles, Calif. 2016 Co-founder, Collective Member
The Long Haul Infoshop (community space)
Berkeley, Calif. 2011-15 Collective Member
Villagecraft (decentralized education network)
San Francisco Bay Area 2013-15 Network Facilitator
Occupy the Farm (guerilla farming movement)
Albany, Calif. 2013-15 Organizer, Publicist
The Sudo Room (hacker space)
Oakland, Calif. 2013-15 Collective Member, Publicist
PLACE for Sustainable Living (urban ecovillage & community center)
Oakland, Calif. 2013-15 Organizer, Publicity
The Omni Commons (post-hierarchal community space)
Oakland, Calif. 2014-15 Organizer, Publicist
Liberated Lens (film collective)
Oakland, Calif. 2014-15 Collective Member
Oakland Spring Rising (urban farming movement)
Oakland, Calif. 2015 Organizer
Oakland, Calif. 2011 Organizer
The WTO Protests
Seattle, Wash. 1999 Student Journalist
The Pickering Farm Community Garden
Issaquah, Wash. 1996-00 Organizer
Interactive Media & Gamemaking:
Hotel Obfuscia produced by Foma Labs (interactive theatre)
San Francisco, Ca. 2017 Performance Artist
directed by Mark Marino & Rob Wittig (netprov)
One Star Reviews 2017 Featured Player
Fake News Agency 2017 Featured Player
Thermophiles in Love 2016 Co-creator
Monstrous Weather 2016 Featured Player
Air-B-n-Me 2016 Featured Player
Thermophiles in Love (larp)
Berkeley, Ca. & Atlanta, Ga. 2016 Larpwright, Co-Facilitator
Bleed, Harrassment, Truama (larp)
with Sarah Lynn Bowman, John Stavropoulos & Sarah Hart
2016 Larpwright, Co-Facilitator
Los Angeles Freeform & Theatre Larp Collective
Los Angeles, Ca. 2016 Co-founder
Cat Bloc (protest performance)
San Francisco Bay Area 2014-15 Performance Artist
Worst Party Ever (interactive theatre)
San Francisco Bay Area 2014 Installation Director
Break Silence, End Isolation (protest performance)
San Francisco Bay Area 2013 Performance Artist
Beyond the Aether (larp)
Portland, Or. 2009-12 Rules Development, Co-Facilitator
Portland, Or. 2008-10 Performance Artist
Seattle, Wa. 2000-08 Performance Artist
NERO Alliance (larp)
Seattle Chapter 2003-07 Volunteer
Oregon Chapter 2005 Staff
Camlann Medieval Village (interactive theatre)
Carnation, Wa. 1996-98 Performance Artist