CST PhD Candidate
Research Interests: Science and Technology Studies, Cultural Studies, American Studies, Feminist Theory, Critical Race Theory, Popular Music, History of Eugenics, Genomics, Radio, African American Literature, Digital Music Distribution
Fellowships, Grants, and Awards:
- Cultural Studies Summer Funding (2017)
- Mellon Research Initiative in Social Justice Summer Fellowship (2016)
- Feminist Research Institute Graduate Summer Research Fellowship (2016)
- UC Davis Humanities Arts and Cultural Studies Dean’s Fellowship (2016)
- American Philosophical Society Library Resident Research Fellowship (2016)
- Cultural Studies Dissertation Quarter Award (2016)
- Mellon Research Initiative in Social Justice Summer Fellowship (2014)
- Provost’s Fellowship in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences (2012-2013)
- B.A. American Studies. College of William and Mary, 2005
- M.A. American Studies. The University of South Florida, 2011
- "Mapping the Music Genome: Imaginative Geography in the Music Genome Project and the Genographic Project." Media Fields 10, November 2015.
- "Policing Pop Culture: Forensic Technologies and Music Recommendation Systems." Cultural Studies Association Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA. June 3, 2016.
- "Only God Can Make a Genome": Pandora Internet Radio, God Tricks and 'The Music Itself.'" Society for Ethnomusicology National Meeting. Austin, TX. December 8, 2015.
- “’Selves Do Bad Things’: A Critique of the ‘Authentic Self’ Discourse in US Yoga.” Berkeley Center for Race and Gender Conference. Berkeley, CA, April 25, 2014.
- “Unsettling Performance Studies / Performing Critique.” National Association for Ethnic Studies National Conference. Oakland, CA, April 4, 2014.
- “’Freedom is the Ultimate Goal’: Talib Kweli and Nina Simone’s Fo(u)r Women.” Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association National Conference. San Antonio, TX, April 2011